Anyone else still obsessed with fishtail braids? Martha Lynn here, and there’s nothing I love more than a style that can accomplish two things at once, and a “half-up” look manages to give you the best of both worlds — the romantic feel of your hair down, partnered with the polished look of an updo. This simple technique takes your average “half-up” style and turns it up a notch by pairing it with a couple of fishtail braids… the end result is gorgeous, whimsical and super versatile.
- Start with hair in your natural part. Divide hair in front of the ear into two sections as pictured.
- Start fishtailing the hair. If you still haven’t mastered the fish tail technique check out Claire’s tutorial here!
- Once the first fishtail is complete, secure with clip.
- Braid second fishtail on other side of part and gather both braids at the ends.
- Secure with a clear rubber band. Wiggle the rubber band down a tiny bit to loosen the braids.
- Carefully tug on braids to loosen them up — the more you pull them apart, the larger they will be. Use a comb or fingers to pull hair at crown to add volume.
- Curl remaining hair at the bottom. When curling, alternate directions so curls stay separated
- Set with hairspray.