Sorry guys, but for today’s edition of Bottoms Up, we’re keeping it clean with a recipe that involves no last-minute “spikes” of vodka or “top-offs” of bubbly. This one involves kale, peaches and coconut water, and I swear: it’ll leave you feeling better than any 5 o’clock cocktail (okay, that might be stretching things a bit…but I’m on a health kick, remember?) Last weekend, after an indulgent breakfast that may or may not have included eggs, sausage and croissants, we were definitely feeling the need for a light lunch with a hefty dose of “green.” Off to Juiceland we went, and after discovering my new favorite smoothie ever, I’ve been making a similar version for breakfast every morning. On a side note: do you think it’s a coincidence that my habit started right when swimsuit shopping season is upon us? It may or may not have something to do with it, but either way, it’s an incredibly energizing way to start the morning. Keep reading for the recipe…
Kale, Peach & Coconut Smoothie
*makes 2 smoothies
- 1 cup frozen unsweetened peach slices (if you use fresh peaches, just add a couple ice cubes)
- 1 cup packed kale, torn into pieces and stems discarded
- 1/2 frozen banana
- 3/4 cup coconut water (may need a little more or less, depending
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly grated ginger
- 1 teaspoon raw honey
- (you could also add a big scoop of greek yogurt or a glug of almond milk for added creaminess)
- Combine all ingredients in a blender.
- Blend on high until very smooth. Pour into 2 glasses; serve with straws.
*images by Camille & Chanel