Contigo Austin is undoubtedly one of the city’s hottest spots. After opening its doors just over a year ago, this casual eatery has garnered attention from Food & Wine, New York Times (my Instagram feed) and many others. The Austin Chronicle named it the Best Place to Celebrate Anything with All Your Friends. It was the gastro-ranch (yep, made that up) menu, seasonal ingredients, and cool artisanal design that originally sparked my interest in profiling the restaurant’s owners Ben Edgerton and Andrew Wiseheart for our Entertaining With series… but on the day of our interview, their warm and witty personalities, cool backstory and totally inspiring entertaining philosophies ended up being the icing on the cake. Click through the images (shot by Chelsea Fullerton) for all the details!
Texas Okra with Walnuts & Cherry Tomatoes
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 6 pieces okra, sliced on a bias
- 1 shallot, thinly sliced
- 1/2 jalapeño, thinly sliced
- 2 cloves garlic, thinly sliced
- 2 tablespoons toasted walnuts, roughly chopped
- 3 each sungold or cherry tomatoes, cut in half
- 4 tablespoons sherry vinegar
- 1 tablespoon butter
- Heat the olive oil in a sauté pan until you reach the smoking point. Add okra and sauté until browning begins. Season with salt.
- Add shallots and jalapeños; sauté for 1 minute. Add garlic, sauté for 3o seconds. Add walnuts and tomatoes, and toss to incorporate.
- Deglaze pan with sherry vinegar, and reduce until it’s almost dry. Remove pan from heat, and add the butter, tossing and stirring to create a glaze.