You know those nights when you’re starving and want something warm and toasty… but don’t feel like going to the grocery store or cooking? My usual answer: BLT’s. Crispy bacon, butter lettuce and sliced, salted tomatoes layered with a bit of mayonnaise on toasted bread always hits the spot. As does this Curried Chicken & Avocado sandwich, which steals some of the BLT’s best qualities but subs in curry-crusted grilled chicken for the bacon and uses sweet and spicy mango chutney in place of tomatoes. I’ve got to give Adam the credit for this one: with distant memories of a curried chicken sandwich special he ordered years ago at Pastis, one night he decided to take unlikely ingredients (mango chutney, a sprinkle of arugula, cilantro) and layer them onto toasted french bread with smashed avocado, resulting in one of the most perfect bites ever. After all, it’s a rare sandwich that we’d serve for a dinner party, and with a pile of crispy sweet potato fries, it was the hit of the night. Keep reading for the recipe…
Curried Chicken & Avocado Sandwich
- 4 chicken tenderloins (or 2 boneless, skinless chicken breast halves), pounded thin
- curry powder
- 2 or 3 tablespoons mango chutney
- 1 small, ripe avocado
- sea salt
- a couple handfuls of arugula
- 10 stems cilantro, stems removed
- 4 slices crusty bread, like french or sourdough
- Preheat the broiler. Heat a grill or an indoor grill pan to medium high.
- Coat each side of the chicken in curry powder, then shake any excess off. Grill for about 3 minutes per side, until cooked through. Remove from heat to rest for 5 minutes, then slice each tenderloin crosswise into 3 pieces.
- Halve the avocado, then de-seed and scoop out flesh. Sprinkle with salt, then mash roughly with a fork.
- Brush each side of the bread with a tiny bit of olive oil, then toast under the broiler until golden brown, flipping once. (careful, this happens fast!)
- On two of the bread slices, divide the mashed avocado and spread evenly. On the other two slices, spread a couple spoonfuls of mango chutney.Add a layer of arugula, then top with the chicken and cilantro. Top with the avocado slices, press firmly together, then slice in half and serve.
*photos by Camille, animated gif & layouts by Jenn