I’ve been meaning to post this recipe forever since it’s one of my go-to weekend breakfasts…and the last time I instagram’d a photo of it, y’all made me swear to share the details. Hope that you’re not disappointed when you find out how simple it is – but I can guarantee that after one taste, any thoughts of disappointment will disappear. To be totally honest, I’m not the best at “mixing it up” when it comes to breakfasts. I basically eat one of two things every morning: greek yogurt with berries & almonds, or steel cut oatmeal with milk and walnuts… so occasionally adding the sweet brown sugar bruléed topping to this bowl of oats makes it feel extra special. And by making these in mason jars, they’re suddenly party-worthy; stack them up on a brunch buffet with a bowl of fresh berries nearby, and guests can help themselves to their own individual portions! Keep reading for more photos and the recipe…
Bruléed Oatmeal with Berries & Almonds
- 4 cups water
- 1 cup steel-cut oats
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/4 cup brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons granulated sugar
- raspberries and chopped almonds (or whatever fruit and nuts you like!)
- In a large saucepan, bring water to a boil; stir in oatmeal and salt. Cook over low heat partially covered, simmering and stirring often, until almost all liquid has been absorbed and oats are al dente, about 45 minutes. Stir in vanilla and cinnamon.
- Transfer oatmeal to 4 ovenproof ramekins or mason jars. Preheat broiler.
- Stir together sugars, and sprinkle evenly over tops of oatmeal. Place ramekins on baking sheet, and broil until sugar melts and forms a crust, about 2 minutes. Top with berries and nuts.
Photos by Michael Bullock