I’ve been dying to share this recipe with you guys for a while… but my problem was that every time I made it for dinner, Adam and I were so excited to dive in that we couldn’t wait for photographs. So, last night we practiced a little self-control and I snapped some quick images of this Thai Steak & Noodle Salad…and then we devoured every. last. morsel. There are so many things to love about this dish – where do I begin? First, the flavors: we don’t really have a favorite thai restaurant here in Austin (anyone have recommendations?) and this dish combines my favorite thai tastes all in one bowl – peanuts, basil, mint, lime, fish sauce, chiles. Second, it’s absolutely perfect for summer entertaining, because it’s best served room temperature from a big family-style bowl in the middle of the table. Doesn’t get easier. Also, every since watching this documentary, we’ve been inspired to cut back on the amount of meat we’re eating, and this salad magically satisfies any steak cravings we might be feeling with just the tiniest portion distributed throughout. (Seriously, I use 3 or 4 oz of steak for Adam and me, and it’s plenty, but you could totally make this sans meat, too!) Keep reading for more images and the recipe…and I’d love to hear your ideas for great main-course salads in the comments!
Thai Steak & Noodle Salad
- 3 tablespoons fresh lime juice
- 1 tablespoon Asian fish sauce
- 1 tablespoon agave nectar
- 1 tablespoon sesame oil
- 1 red Thai chile, sliced paper-thin
- zest of one lime
- 1/2 lb flank steak
- purchased Asian marinade (I use a sesame-ginger marinade, although teriyaki works great too)
- fresh or dried linguine
- Salt and freshly ground pepper
- 2 scallions, thinly sliced
- 1/2 cups mint leaves, torn
- 1/4 cup cilantro leaves, torn
- 1/2 cup basil leaves, torn
- 4 cups shredded cabbage (or arugula – your preference!)
- 1 mango, chopped
- 1 cup cherry tomatoes, halved
- 1 small avocado, chopped
- 1/2 cup chopped salted roasted peanuts, plus 2 tablespoons for garnish
- Lime wedges and basil leaves, for serving
- Marinate the flank steak in Asian marinade for 2 hours.
- In a bowl, combine the lime juice with the fish sauce, agave, oil, chile, & lime zest.
- Cook the linguine until al dente, drain and toss with a little oil.
- Grill the flank steak 4 minutes per side, let rest 4 minutes before slicing thinly against the grain.
- In a bowl, toss scallions, mint, cilantro, basil, field greens, mango, cherry tomatoes, avocado & 1/2 cup peanuts with dressing. Toss in the noodles, then the beef. Mound the salad on plates or in a big family-style bowl in the center of the table. Sprinkle with remaining peanuts and serve with lime wedges and basil leaves.