In my book, there’s only one thing better than coffee… and that’s coffee paired up with its most beloved cookie, the biscotti. As an out-and-proud coffee fiend, this twice-baked orange & almond biscotti has upped the ante in my morning mug meeting. It’s bright with orange zest and extra nutty with almond flour and slivered almonds speckled throughout. The lack of wheat makes this cookie gluten-free and (surprise!) it’s vegan, too. Decadence without all the naughty ingredients plus a side of coffee? I’ll lift my mug in a caffeinated cheers to that! I’ve been on a big Café du Monde French Roast kick as of late but since I’m always on the lookout for new brews, what kind of coffee will you be dipping your biscotti into?
Orange & Almond Biscotti
*recipe adapted from Tasty Yummies
- 1 1/2 cups almond flour
- 1 tablespoon tapioca flour (or starch)
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 cup honey
- 3 tablespoons freshly squeezed orange juice
- orange zest of two medium-sized oranges
- 1/2 cup slivered almonds
- 1/2 cup mini chocolate chips, melted (optional, for dipping)
- Preheat oven to 350ºF. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper; Set aside.
- In a medium bowl, mix the almond flour, tapioca flour, salt and baking soda until all of the ingredients are well combined. Add the honey, juice, zest and almonds and mix until the dough forms a ball.
- On the prepared baking sheet, form the dough into a log that measures about 10″ long and 2″ wide.
- Bake at 350° for 20 minutes, or until lightly browned. Remove from oven and let cool for 1 hour. Once completely cooled, cut into 1/2-inch slices with a very sharp knife.
- Spread slices out on a baking sheet (cut side down) and bake at 250° for 10 minutes. Turn over and bake an additional 10 minutes on the other side. Turn off the oven and let them sit inside the oven on the baking sheet until fully cooled.
Yields 12 Gluten-free + Vegan cookies