Jess here with a special celebratory edition of The Perfect Bite. Today we’re celebrating the birth of the ever-so-fabulous Chanel! Ooh la la. While I wish I could belt out something special like a Mariah Carey tune to accurately sum up just how groovy she truly is, I decided I’d stick within my own comfort zone for the sake of everyone’s bellies and ears.
So here we have it — one-of-a-kind cake for a one-of-a-kind-gal. Knowing Chanel is a poppy seed fan, I made a lemon poppy seed cake with yogurt to keep it perfectly moist and light and topped it with a seasonal bing cherry frosting. Keep reading for the recipe!
Lemon Poppy Seed Cake with Cherry Buttercream Frosting
- 1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 3/4 teaspoons baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon of salt
- 2 teaspoons grated lemon zest
- 3/4 cup plain yogurt
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 egg
- 1/4 cup oil
- 1/4 cup melted butter
- 2 tablespoons poppy seeds
- 1 cup unsalted butter, room temperature
- 4 cups of powdered sugar
- 3/4 cup bing cherries, pitted and minced
- 1/4 cup granulated sugar
- 1 teaspoon of almond extract
- pinch of salt
- lemon zest, to garnish (optional)
- Preheat oven to 350 and spray a 9″ springform pan with cooking spray; Set aside.
- To prepare the cake, whisk together the yogurt, sugar, oil, melted butter and egg until thoroughly blended.
- Separately, mix together the dry ingredients (flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt, poppy seeds) and lemon zest.
- Add the dry to the wet ingredients in the bigger bowl and fold to combine into a smooth batter without over-mixing.
- Pour the batter into a greased pan and back for 25-30 minutes till lightly brown and a toothpick inserted into the center of the cake comes out clean.
- To prepare the frosting, heat cherries and sugar in a small saucepan and let simmer approximately 10 minutes. Set aside to let cool.
- Whip butter in stand mixer fitted with the paddle attachment until smooth. Add powdered sugar and stir together slowly until it has all incorporated. Add cooled cherry mixture, almond extract and salt. Whip for 5 minutes on high until fluffy.
Happy birthday with a cherry on top, Chanel!