I recently discovered the amazingness that is celery root puree. It tastes like such an indulgent treat, but is actually so healthy! Paired here with earthy, herbed beets and olive oil, it takes on a richness that’s surprising for such a simple dish. Best of all it provides, that “comfort food” satisfaction that we’re all craving as the temperatures start to drop.
Celery root is a great source of dietary fiber, vitamin C, vitamin B-6, calcium, potassium and magnesium. It’s also known to support the digestive system, stimulate the kidneys, and improve memory. For such a humble vegetable, it packs a whole lot of health bang for its buck!
Celery Root Puree with Herbed Beets
- 4 1/4 cups peeled, cubed celery root (one extra large celery root)
- 2 cups peeled, roasted cubed beets (about 2 medium beets)
- 3 cloves of garlic
- 1 1/2 tablespoon earth balance vegan butter (substitute regular butter if preferred)
- 1/8 cup of almond milk
- 4 tablespoons high quality olive oil
- 4 tablespoons finely chopped sage
- 1/4 teaspoons sea salt (more to taste)
- 1 1/2 teaspoons chopped rosemary
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon oregano
- (extra chopped herbs to garnish)
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Wash beets, pierce with fork, wrap in tinfoil and place on baking sheet.
- While beets are roasting combine olive oil, sage, rosemary, oregano, 1/8 teaspoon of sea salt and pepper in a small mixing bowl and set aside.
- Roast beets for 30-60 minutes, they are done when easily pierced with a fork.
- Let cool until they can be handled and remove skins with hands.
- Chop into 1/2 inch cubes and place in a medium mixing bowl.
- Add herbed dressing to beets and mix well.
- Bring a large pot of salted water to a boil.
- Add cubed celery root and garlic and cook for 10-15 minutes or until celery root is tender.
- Drain celery root and garlic and add to a food processor or blender (I used a Vitamix).
- Add almond milk, earth balance and 1/8 teaspoon of sea salt and blend until creamy (it should be really creamy!). Add more salt to taste.
- Spoon beets over celery root puree, sprinkling with freshly chopped herbs for additional garnish and flavor. If additional olive oil sneaks into the bowl, don’t worry it will just make it that much more delicious.
- Serve immediately!