These days, there’s nothing I’d rather have for lunch than a hearty bowl of soup… I can’t get enough! But I also want that soup to be easy to throw together, packed full of nutrition and of course, majorly satisfying. This tomato, vegetable and bean version is topped with homemade pesto and perfectly fits the bill.
This soup is brimming with tomatoes, carrots, zucchini, potatoes, butter beans and spinach. Together, these veggies provide a wide variety of antioxidants and health benefits, including an abundance of cancer-preventing vitamins B 6, C, A and K. Even the often-maligned potato has half the daily requirement for Vitamin C and is full of potassium, magnesium and iron!
Hearty Tomato Vegetable Soup with Pesto
- 25 oz of peeled, diced plum tomatos
- 1 medium onion,diced
- 2 cloves of pressed garlic
- 2 medium carrots, chopped
- 1 1/2 cups of chopped red potatoes
- 2 cups of spinach
- 2 cups of butter beans (one can if buying pre-cooked)
- 1 T Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- 3/4 t rosemary
- 3/4 t thyme
- 3/4 t oregano
- 3/4 t tarragon
- 3/4 t marjoram
- sea salt and fresh cracked black pepper to taste
- optional: vegan pesto to garnish (recipe here)
- In a dutch oven or other heavy bottomed pot combine onion, garlic and olive oil. Cook for two minutes over medium-low heat.
- Add carrots and sauté an additional three minutes.
- Add potatoes, tomatoes, 4 cups of water and all herbs. Simmer on medium0-low heat until the potatoes are just starting to soften.
- Add zucchini and cook for an additonal two minutes, or until cooked.
- Season with sea salt and pepper, to taste.
- Add spinach and combine until wilted.
- Serve hot with a spoonful of pesto!