If you asked me where the inspiration for this DIY came from, I’m not so sure I could give you an exact answer. It was as random as walking through the craft store, spotting a fake bird, and thinking to myself “maybe I should put that on my head.“ After that, it was just a matter of figuring out how to transform my hair into a bird’s nest. All-in-all, it turned out to be a super easy & inexpensive Halloween costume, and I’m thinking it’d pair great with a brown outfit with leaves glued to it (à la, bird’s nest in a tree). Keep reading for the tutorial below!
- Spray paint foam ring in a color that matches your hair, and set on the crown of your head.
- Section hair in 2 to 3-inch pieces, and wrap up and over the ring.
- Use greenery pins to secure hair to ring, leaving the “tail” of the hair section loose in the middle of the ring. Use a bobby pin to pin “tail” to crown of head.
- Continue wrapping hair, and pinning flat into the center of the ring.
- Tear small pieces of excelsior and use greenery pins to secure into ring. Add small bits of preserved moss to the nest.
- Continue around the head.
- Use hot glue to attach faux birds and eggs to the tops of greenery pins. Once dried, insert greenery pins into the nest.
- Repeat with the remainder of your natural elements. Add bobby pins where needed to keep the nest’s shape, and apply hairspray all over.