Alright ladies, today’s installment of Pretty Simple is nothing short of a life saver, and while it may be a few years too late for my lifeguarding days, it’s here just in time for the summer. There’s no question that our hair takes a serious beating between June and September each year from being soaked in salt water and chlorine regularly… and if you’re like me you probably assumed that the dry and split ends that result from this are inevitable. Well, Martha Lynn is here today with a few beauty tricks that are going to save our long locks from a devastating trim four months from now. Keep reading to discover the secret to weathering the elements this summer… take it away, Martha Lynn!
- Wet your hair first with clean water. You can leave yours wet from the shower in the morning, or use the shower at the pool or beach.
- Wring out excess water.
- Apply a conditioning masque. I love Masque Chroma Riche by Kerastase, but any deep conditioner should do the trick.
- Don’t rinse! Simply comb through with a wide toothed comb.
Since you’ve already filled your hair with water and conditioner, it wont be able to absorb harmful chlorine or salt water. The heat from the sun will help your hair absorb the masque all day long, and since this is so moisturizing it will bring out your natural curls without leaving hair greasy at all. You can repeat the process if you’re out all day, and at night just shampoo and condition as usual and your hair will feel like it has spent all day in a conditioning treatment.
For Extra Credit: Throw on your favorite scarf, sun hat or fedora for extra protection and if you aren’t wearing a hat make sure your hair isn’t showing a part anywhere or it could be susceptible to sunburn! Feel free to use a chapstick with SPF along your part to protect it from the sun!
listed clockwise from left:
- French market tote from the Market Basket Company
- Bobbi Brown Lip Balm, SPF 15
- Theodora Callum scarf
- Since the masque isn’t really providing any sun protection I would also highly recommend the Huile Celeste from Kerastase. It provides UVA and UVB filters, macadameia oil for moisture and tons of shine!
- Masque Chroma Riche by Kerastase. This product is amazing on most types of hair, comes in travel size and is easy to throw in your beach bag (these two products alone will make your hair actually look better as the summer goes on)
- Mason Pearson Rake Comb