Happy Friday, everyone! You’ve joined us just in time for this next installment in our 12 Tastes Of Christmas series. Jess, the talented lady behind Forgiving Martha (or you might know her as the author of our Perfect Bite column), is back with another drool-worthy treat – and this one has me racing for the grocery store. Keep reading for the super simple recipe that will leave you itching to have guests over… like now.
Since December has officially arrived, and with it, a calendar filled with holiday party plans, I (Jess) figured now would be the perfect time to share a sweet treat that everyone can enjoy! I must be completely honest: chocolate+orange is my absolute favorite combo when it comes to desserts. And not only does this recipe boast winning flavors, but it’s also the perfect finger snack for your holiday gathering because it’s allergy friendly (nuts, gluten, even vegans… you name it)! These candied orange peels, dipped in chocolate and topped with a sprinkle of fleur de sel, will certainly be enjoyed by all. And as if you needed any more convincing… it’s a breeze to prepare and its ingredients are probably already in your kitchen!
Chocolate Candied Orange Peel
- 2 large naval orange
- 1 1/2 cup sugar
- 1/2 cup water
- 1 cup semisweet chocolate chips (Enjoy Life for vegan, gluten-free)
- fleur de sel for garnish
- Cut the oranges in quarters and remove the segments. Slice remaining peels into thin pieces; Set aside.
- In a small saucepan, add the sugar and water and bring to a boil.
- Add sliced orange peels and reduce the heat to simmer. Let simmer about 45 minutes until the sugar water is very thick and sticky and the orange peels have almost become translucent.
- Remove orange peels and let dry and harden on wax paper for two hours.
- Melt chocolate chips over a double boiler and dip each peel halfway in. Top with fleur de sel.
- Let harden and serve.