There’s no arguing the fact that when it comes to stylish entertaining, the smallest details can make a big impact. At our Cinco de Mayo fiesta last week, guests kept oohing and aahing over the fun, festive skewers we used to serve fresh watermelon with feta cheese. And I’ve got to admit, there’s no better feeling than being able to say, “I made them!” They were beyond easy to put together, and best of all, can be recreated in endless color palettes to go with any party concept you dream up. Perfect for individually served appetizers or cocktail swizzle sticks, they’re a sweet detail that makes any menu item dressed for a party.
- wooden skewers
- shallow container
- 1 cup hot water
- measuring cup
- red food coloring
- wooden beads (these can be spray painted to be desired colors)
- hot glue gun
- Cut skewers to approximately 5 inches long.
- Squeeze 15-20 drops of food coloring into measuring cup.
- Add 1 cup hot water.
- Place skewers in shallow container, and pour food coloring mixture into container. Weigh down sticks with a rock or paper cup to keep from floating, and allow to “steep” for 3 hours.
- Remove sticks and allow to dry.
- String beads onto non-pointed end of sticks. Squeeze a small dot of hot glue in between beads to secure in place.
*first and second image photographed by Melanie Grizzel
Share this Post