You guys, I have so much watermelon in my fridge right now, I really don’t know what to do with it. Over the last month, I literally can’t do even a quick run in the grocery store without emerging carrying a big, juicy watermelon…it’s becoming a bit of a problem. On Sunday, we were enjoying a low-key afternoon by the pool, and I started daydreaming some yummy ways to use up the latest melon taking up real estate in my fridge. I considered this salad with grilled haloumi or my standby watermelon & arugula one… but then I spotted a bottle of rum in the pantry and my decision was made. Getting the flavors and textures just right took a bit of finessing, but not to worry – I did plenty of taste-testing to get it just right! Keep reading for the recipe… this is one you’re going to want to mix up all summer long. Oh, and be sure to leave a comment with any other brilliant ideas for ways I can use up my profusion of summer melons!
*makes 4 drinks
- 1/2 cup fresh mint leaves, plus a few fresh mint sprigs for garnish
- 6 (or so) slices seedless watermelon, plus more for garnish
- 8 ounces light rum
- juice of 1 lime
- juice of 1 lemon
- 1/2 cup light agave nectar
- club soda
- In a pitcher, muddle the 1/2 cup fresh mint leaves using a muddler or end of a wooden spoon. Set aside.
- Remove the rind from the watermelon, then purée in a blender or food processor. Add 2 cups of the watermelon to the pitcher with the mint, then add the rum, lemon juice, lime juice and agave nectar. Stir to combine.
- Fill glasses with crushed ice, then fill them 3/4 full with the mojito mixture. Top with club soda, and garnish with fresh mint and a small watermelon wedge perched on the rim.
Share this Post