Click here to read full story, A Midwinter Night’s Dream. Photos by Christie Graham
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 small onion, diced
- 2 tbsp butter
- 2 tbsp flour
- 8 cups chicken broth
- small can of tomatoes (preferably San Marzano)
- 8 oz. tomato paste
- ¼ tsp cayenne pepper
- 1 cup half and half
- 6 small slices of bread
- 1 cup of grated parmesan
- In a large pot, sautee the garlic and onion in butter for 30 seconds.
- Stir in flour.
- Add chicken broth, tomato paste and can.
- Stir in cayenne and mix ingredients thoroughly.
- Bring to a boil and cook for 10 minutes until flavours have blended.
- With an immersion blender, blend the soup until it has your desired consistency. For this dinner party, we blended it until it was very smooth.
- Reduce heat and add half and half
- Preheat oven to 350F
- Top bread with grated parmesan
- Cook for about 5 minutes, or until cheese is fully coated on the bread. A good indication is light brown bits around the edges.
Serve soup with croutons.
Share this Post
Use fresh cherry tomatoes for 100% more flavor and nutrients!
this looks like such a simple, delicious meal for a winter night. definitely going to try soon! thanks for sharing.
a simple elegance