It’s true, we don’t have the harshest winters here in Austin, but the last few days have been rainy, grey and cold (cold for us anyway). Perfect soup weather in my book. I (Jeanine) made this a few nights ago and have been eating the leftovers ever since.
When I think healthy comfort food, I almost always think curry. It’s warm, hearty, spicy and just packed with flavor. Keep reading for the recipe…
photos by Love & Lemons
Curried Sweet Potato Soup
serves 4 as a main course, 6-8 as a side
- 2 tablespoons coconut oil
- 1 onion, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 tablespoons madras curry powder
- 2 medium sweet potatoes, chopped into cubes
- 1/2 cup peas (can be frozen)
- 1 can lite coconut milk (2 cups)
- 2-4 cups veggie broth (less for a thicker consistency, more for thicker)
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar
- squeeze of one juicy lime
- a few handfuls of spinach
- handful of chopped cilantro, for garnish
- a few pinches of red pepper flakes
- In a large pot, heat coconut oil. Add onion and some salt salt. Cook, stirring, until it becomes translucent. (about 5 minutes). Add curry powder and garlic and cook for another 30 seconds (don’t let either burn).
- Add a good squeeze of lime, coconut milk, broth, chopped sweet potatoes, brown sugar and a little more salt. Turn heat down and simmer, covered, until the sweet potatoes are soft (20-30 minutes).
- Stir in the peas and spinach and cook for just another minute or two.
- Taste and adjust seasonings, adding a few pinches of red pepper flakes if you want it a little spicy.
- Top with cilantro and serve with naan bread on the side.
Share this Post
I love those bowls – where are they from??
They’re from this seller on Etsy: http://www.etsy.com/shop/sheilasart?ref=seller_info
Oh wow this looks delicious
I want a big bowl of this soup!
Looks like the perfect January dinner! And considering that sweet potatoes are one of my favorite foods – and everything’s better with coconut milk – this is sure to be divine. Can’t wait to give it a whirl!
What a great easy supper. I love that you’ve left it all chunky- I do like smooth soups too but tend to feel like I need something to go with it..chunky and it’s a proper meal 🙂
This soup is calling my name!! Love curry and sweet potatoes.
beautiful photographs! I can’t wait to try this recipe!
I just made this soup for Meatless Monday, and it is delightful to make and smell as it is simmering. Went with 4 cups of broth, added the chilipepper flakes, and some Kaffir lime. Wonderful!
so glad you liked it!
I made this over the weekend…I’m hooked! What a wonderful (and quick!) flavor! Added grilled coconut chicken satay for additional protein. This is going to be a favorite!
really good and easy. i didn’t have peas, and used more spinach than directed. also sauteed mushrooms and then added goat cheese and baked them together a bit. served that as a side with the naan. yummy. thank you!!
just made this again with fresh green beans and sweet potatoes. so yum!