In Season :: Green Bean & Avocado Quinoa Salad
Jeanine here, with spring on a plate. Lately, I've been obsessed with big salads full of spring's most vibrant and crisp veggies. It's been so fun to play around with various combinations of colors and textures, and this one's my current favorite.
I started with green leeks, green beans and mint, and then added avocado and toasted pistachios to carry out my all-green color theme. This makes for a delicious lunch or a perfect patio dinner alongside some grilled salmon.
Green Bean & Avocado Quinoa Salad
- 1 tablespoon mustard seeds, lightly toasted
- splashes of olive oil
- handful of green beans (thin ones)
- 1/2 cup leeks
- juice of 1 lemon & lemon zest
- big handful of dandelion greens (or spinach or arugula)
- 1/2 cup cooked quinoa
- 1/4 cup crumbled feta cheese
- a few sprigs of fresh mint
- a few tablespoons toasted chopped pistachios
- 1/2 avocado sliced
- Heat a small pan and toast the mustard seeds until just fragrant. Add oil, green beans and leeks, salt. Cook until tender but still crunchy. Add a big squeeze of lemon to the pan. Add greens to wilt slightly. Remove from heat and toss with quinoa, feta cheese, more lemon and lemon zest.
- For best flavor let this chill together for 30 or so minutes.
- Before serving, add toasted pistachios, avocado and a few more mint sprigs. Taste and adjust seasonings.
photos & recipe: Love & Lemons