I don’t know about you, but I (Jess) couldn’t possibly be more excited about Halloween this year. I cannot soak up this holiday enough. In the midst of planning my matching black cat costume with my niece, Sophie, I’ve been baking all kinds of decorative desserts and I’ve come to but one conclusion… forget all the spooky, I’d just like the sweet.
On a related note, it seems that candy corn has become 2012’s ‘it’ confectionery, and of course, I’m not one to let a food trend pass without giving it a spin. But be warned, these mini-sugar cookies disappear very fast… especially if you happen to see two black cats in your midst.
Candy Corn Cookie Bites
Recipe adapted from Land O’ Lakes
- 1 cup unsalted butter, softened
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 egg
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 2 teaspoons freshly grated lemon zest
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- Orange paste or gel food color
- Yellow paste or gel food color
- Line bottom and sides of 9×5-inch loaf pan with waxed paper or plastic food wrap. Set aside.
- Combine butter and 1 cup sugar in large bowl; beat at medium speed until creamy. Add egg, lemon juice, lemon zest and salt. Continue beating until well mixed. Reduce speed to low; add flour and baking soda. Beat until well mixed.
- Divide dough into thirds. Press one-third of white dough evenly onto bottom of prepared pan. Place another one-third of dough back into same bowl. Add small amount of orange food color; mix until color is well blended. Press orange dough evenly over white dough in pan. Place remaining one-third of dough into another medium bowl. Add small amount of yellow food color; mix until color is well blended. Press yellow dough evenly over orange dough in pan. Cover with plastic food wrap; refrigerate until firm (at least 2 hours or overnight).
- Heat oven to 375°F. Invert loaf pan to remove dough. Peel off waxed paper. Place layered dough onto cutting surface. Cut loaf crosswise into 1/4-inch slices using sharp knife, trimming edges to make even, if necessary. Cut each slice into 6 wedges. Place 1-inch apart onto ungreased cookie sheets. Bake for 7 to 10 minutes or until edges are firm and bottoms are very lightly browned. Cool 1 minute; remove from cookie sheets. Cool completely. Store in loosely covered container.
Share this Post