The second that springtime rolls around each year, I instantly want to add fresh fruit to everything I eat. Berries, especially, are an essential part of my warm weather meals, and today I felt like baking them up in a pretty and yes, super simple little torte. This recipe calls for ingredients that are likely already in your pantry and, as is required by the onset of spring, a heaping cup of fresh berries (blackberries, blueberries, raspberries – whatever you love!) And since we’ve all been ordered to get our daily serving of fruit… why not get it by way of cake? Keep reading for the recipe.
- 1 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 3/4 + 1 tablespoon cup sugar
- 1/4 cup vegetable oil
- 1 egg
- 1/2 cup milk
- 1 1/2 tsp vanilla
- 1 tablespoon apple cider vinegar
- 1 cup fresh strawberries, quartered
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Spray a 9 inch tart pan with cooking spray. Set aside.
- In a small bowl, toss together quartered strawberries with one tablespoon of sugar. Set aside.
- In a medium bowl combine flour, nutmeg, salt and baking powder.
- In the bowl of a stand mixer, whisk together remaining sugar and oil until combined. Add egg, milk, vanilla and vinegar and beat until smooth.
- Gently add flour mixture into wet ingredients and lightly fold together until batter forms. Pour into prepared tart pan.
- Add strawberries to the top and press each piece gently into the batter.
- Bake for 45 minutes or until golden brown and a toothpick inserted into the cake comes out clean. Serve with freshly whipped cream or ice cream!
Share this Post
This looks delicious!
Thanks, Kat! Hope you give it a try! 🙂
Oh, this looks fantastic Jess! On the summer “must” list for sure.
Be sure to invite me over once it’s baked! 😉 xo
This was great and easy to make. My batter came out very thick, almost biscuit consistency but the finished torte was light and delicious with homemade whipped cream and a few macerated strawberries on top. Thanks!
SO happy to hear you liked it, Chelsea!
This reminds me of a clafoutis recipe I tried a while back, except this torte looks more moist, dense and gorgeous! Can’t wait to try it out 🙂