Ladies and gentleman, please give a warm welcome to the latest addition to our contributor team: Sarah Yates of A House in the Hills. We’re thrilled to have Sarah joining us every other week to share her gorgeous vegan, vegetable heavy, seasonal recipes… plus, she’ll be focusing on the health and nutritional benefits associated with the different ingredients featured. Up first, this vibrant, end-of-summer salad…
I live for berries in the summer and as they start to go out of season I look for every opportunity to add them to my meals. This spinach and berry salad is perfect for these last HOT days of summer that we’re having– light, flavorful, satisfying and best of all, healthy!
Spinach is a veritable superfood packed full of nutrients thought to improve brain function and slow aging. And blackberries & strawberries, like all berries, are nutritional powerhouses as well. Berries contain high levels of anti-oxidants which help protect the body from the damage caused by free radicals. This free radical damage is thought to cause aging and contribute to diseases such as cancer and heart disease. Additionally the vitamins in these berries improve the condition of skin and hair, contributing to shine and elasticity. So basically this is a salad that will increase your chances of living longer and having great skin & hair while doing so. I’ll take it!
- 1 5 oz container of organic baby spinach
- 1 pint of blackberries
- 1/4 medium purple onion, thinly sliced
- 1 cup of strawberries, stems removed and sliced
- 2 tablespoons of pine nuts
- 1 clove of garlic, crushed
- 1/8 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 1/8 cup red wine vinegar
- 1 tablespoon maple syrup
- 1/8 teaspoon sea salt
- Wash spinach and pat dry. Add to a large serving bowl with blackberries, strawberries and red onion.
- In a small mixing bowl combine olive oil, red wine vinegar, crushed garlic, maple syrup and sea salt. This dressing can be made in advance for even more flavor.
- Add dressing to salad and toss to combine. This recipe makes more than enough dressing, so add to your taste preference.
- Sprinkle with pine nuts and serve!
Share this Post