While you might assume that doing all these cocktail posts while pregnant is a torturous affair…it’s actually been really fun to fantasize about all the little libations I’ll get to drink post-baby, and live vicariously through the willing taste-testers on my team. Today’s grapefruit-mint bellini is so up my alley, as it combines 3 of my favorite flavors in the world: grapefruit, mint and bubbly. And it definitely falls into my guidelines for easygoing summer party drinks, since I can mix it up in under a minute and serve to a crowd (no muddling, shaking or complicated mixing required!) By the way, the feminine hue of this drink makes it perfect for incorporating one of my favorite party tricks: edible flowers! Keep reading for tips on how to use them, as well as the recipe for these grapefruit-mint bellinis.
Did you know that, as long as they’re not sprayed with pesticides, flowers like primroses, pansies, snapdragons and johnny jump ups are all perfectly edible? If you’re not growing them in your garden, many grocery stores actually stock packages of these flowers near the fresh herbs, and I love using them to add beautiful color and interest to summer salads, or to top cupcakes and scoops of sorbet. (find a comprehensive list of which flowers are okay to eat here.)
Trust me on this one: bottled grapefruit juice doesn’t compare to the flavor of freshly-squeezed when it takes a starring role in a recipe like this. And no need for an expensive juicer; a manual version like this one makes quick work of squeezing out every last drop of citrus flavor (and it happens to be on a super sale right now.)
Bottoms Up! (Helianthus Goblets from Anthropologie.)
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1/2 cup water
- 1 bunch fresh mint
- 2 – 3 cups freshly squeezed grapefruit juice
- 1 bottle sparkling wine (champagne, prosecco, cava…whatever you like!)
- edible flowers, for garnish
- In a small saucepan, bring sugar, water and mint to a boil. Simmer until the sugar is dissolved, 3 minutes. Remove from the heat and let cool completely, then discard mint sprigs.
- Divide simple syrup and grapefruit juice between 6 glasses and stir. Top with champagne and garnish with edible flowers.
Share this Post