I started out a little uninspired when concepting this week’s cocktail: the 100-degree temps were calling for something refreshing and fruity, but I’ve been feeling a little “done” with super summery drinks like sangria and margaritas (and no, I haven’t been drinking them…just mixing and photographing them!) After scanning some of my favorite cocktail recipes for inspiration, it dawned on me that something herbal might strike the perfect balance between summer and bordering-on-fall…then realized that pears would make a delish complement to the abundant fresh thyme overflowing in my garden right now. This cocktail could not be simpler, and since all the ingredients can be mixed together in a big pitcher, it’s party-perfect. For maximum flavor, combine the apple juice, pears and thyme a few hours before serving, and similar to a sangria, the fruit and herbs infuse the entire drink with a more complex flavor. I’m thinking these would work as well for this weekend’s pool party as they would for an autumnal get-together in a couple months! Keep reading for more images and the recipe…
Champagne flutes from Anthropologie.
Pear & Thyme Fizz
- 2 cups good-quality apple juice
- 1 ripe but firm pear, very thinly sliced
- 12 sprigs fresh thyme
- 1/4 cup orange-flavored liqueur (I like grand marnier)
- 1 bottle sparkling wine (champagne, prosecco, cava, etc.)
1. In a pitcher, combine apple juice, pears, thyme and liqueur. Stir together, then refrigerate for 2 – 4 hours to allow the pears and thyme to infuse the juice with flavor.
2. Divide between 6 champagne flutes, discarding thyme, then fill remainder of each glass with champagne. Garnish each glass with a sprig of fresh thyme. Bottoms up!
Share this Post
beautiful and yummy
This looks delicious! I’ve been looking for an excuse to pop open the champagne chilling in the fridge, and my thyme in the garden is just out of control! Thanks for sharing!
That looks and sounds SO refreshing! I need one now! Happy Friday!
Oh my gosh, it looks delicious!!!
Must try … 😉 xxx
Sounds delicious! I want one right now!
This is one of the best bases to add any sparkling wine to – Fantastic