With spring practically here and warmer temps on the up and up (we’ve been seeing tan-inducing conditions in recent days!), I’ve been searching for a delicious way to stay hydrated. Jess here, and today I’m happy to share the oh-so-satisfying results of my thirst-quenching quest! While I always love basil in the (predictable) pesto, Caprese salads, and pizza, I especially enjoy playing up its sweet side in a refreshing sip. This perfectly seasonal basil lemonade isn’t too tart or too sweet, and I have a feeling it’s going to make the perfect companion over the coming months. Keep reading for the recipe!
- 1/4 cup granulated sugar
- 1/3 cup freshly squeezed lemon juice (from 2 large lemons)
- 1/4 cup fresh basil leaves, roughly torn
- Combine sugar and 1/4 cup water in a microwave safe bowl and heat for 45 seconds. Then stir until sugar is dissolved and liquid is clear. Set aside to cool.
- Use muddler (is base of a wooden spoon) to muddle together lemon juice and basil leaves and infuse the juice with basil flavor.
- Add 2/3 cup of cold water and sugar syrup, to taste. Pour over ice and serve!
*Adapted from Love and Olive Oil.
Share this Post