I (Jess) am always on the hunt for a no-fail cookie, and this simple 5-ingredient recipe turns out perfectly flaky shortbread every time. Add in Nutella — which I daresay is as popular as Oprah — and you’ve got yourself a winner. To prep the dough, I gave my arms a workout with a pastry cutter to keep the butter from becoming melty (which would result in a too-tough cookie.) That’s right: cookies and toned arms in one! You could also use a food processor, but I’ve found that the butter gets soft and clumps at the bottom, so I stick to doing it all by hand. Once baked and slathered with a hefty helping of Nutella, the cookies are sandwiched together for some major flavor magic. These cookies beg to be shared. Or hidden for personal consumption. Your choice.
Nutella Shortbread Sandwiches
- 4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 1/2 cups cold unsalted butter, cubed
- 1/4 cup plus 2 tablespoons confectioners’ sugar
- pinch of salt
- 1/2 cup cold water
- equal parts cocoa powder + confectioner’s sugar for dusting, optional
- Sift the flour, salt and confectioner’s sugar along with the cubed butter. Combine with a pastry cutter, slowly adding water, until mixture resembles coarse meal. Transfer the dough to a work surface and divide in half. Shape each half into a thin disk and wrap in plastic wrap. Refrigerate for an hour.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Line two baking sheets with parchment.
- Unwrap one disk of dough and place it on a floured work surface. Roll the dough to a thickness of about 1/4-inch. Use a cookie cutter and transfer the prepared dough to the baking sheet. Repeat with the second disk of dough.Bake for 15 minutes, or until pale golden brown. Transfer the baking sheets to wire racks and let the cookies cool for a few minutes before removing them to the racks to cool completely.
- Match the cookies in pairs by size and place about 1 teaspoon of Nutella on one cookie, then put the matching cookie on top, pressing gently to sandwich and squeeze the filling to the edges. Repeat to finish all of the sandwiches. Store in an airtight container at room temperature.