I find that if I start my day with a healthy decision, I’m much more aware of what I’m eating throughout the rest of the day and am more likely to make good food choices. And this superfood breakfast bowl is one of my favorite breakfasts as of late — it’s warm and satisfying, packed full of protein and keeps me full all the way through until lunch.
Most importantly, it’s chock full of nutrients and health benefits. The coconut is believed to lower cholesterol, improve digestion, and regulate hormones, while the quinoa is one of the most protein rich foods we can eat! And topped off with goji berries, a superfood that packs a whopping 21 minerals in each berry and chia seeds, which are a super source of Omega 3 Fatty acids, this breakfast bowl is maximizing nutrition in every bite. Hope you love!
Superfood Breakfast Bowl
*makes 2 servings
- 1/2 cup of quinoa
- 1 1/2 cups water
- 1/2 cup coconut milk
- 2 dried merjool dates (more for added sweetness), seeds removed and chopped
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/8 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1/8 teaspoon cardamon
- 2 tablespoons pepitas
- 1 tablespoon shredded coconut
- 1 tablespoon golden raisins
- goji berries, chia seeds, banana and coconut flakes, to garnish
- Rinse quinoa until water runs clear and combine in a medium sauce pan with water, coconut milk, and dates.
- Bring to a boil, then reduce heat to low and simmer for 15 minutes, or until quinoa has started to soften.
- Add cinnamon, nutmeg, cardamon, pepitas, shredded coconut and golden raisins.
- Cook an additional five minutes, adding water if necessary, until quinoa and soft and fully cooked.
- Serve hot and topped with banana, goji berries, chia seeds, and coconut flakes. Add maple syrup or honey to sweeten further if you’d like!