Happy Tuesday friends! Today’s “Tasting” is one of my favorite lunches ever. It’s fresh and crunchy and citrus-y and salty…and satisfies my all-to-frequent Mexican food cravings in a relatively healthy way. I make this baja chicken tostada recipe by layering refried black beans, lime-marinated slaw, shredded chicken and a touch of cilantro, but it’s also great with some avocado or pico de gallo thrown on, too. For summertime parties, I like to set up a tostada bar with all the toppings – beans, grilled corn, slaw, cherry tomatoes, guacamole, chicken, shredded cheese – and let guests build their own! Keep reading for more images and the chicken tostada recipe.
*photos by Camille
- 8 crispy tostada shells
- juice from 2 limes
- 1 tsp agave syrup
- 1 tsp olive oil
- 1 cup shredded green cabbage
- 1/2 cup shredded red cabbage
- 1 large carrot, coarsely grated
- 1 can refried black beans
- 2 cups shredded roast chicken
- 1/2 cup cilantro leaves, stems removed
- lime wedges
- In a small bowl, whisk together the lime juice, honey and oil. In a medium bowl, toss together cabbage, carrots and lime juice mixture. Let marinate for 10 minutes.
- Warm black beans in a saucepan set over medium-low. I sometimes add a tablespoon of water to thin them out a bit.
- On each tostada shell, spread a thin layer of refried black beans, then top with marinated slaw and 1/4 cup chicken. Garnish with cilantro sprigs, and serve each with hot sauce and lime wedges.
Share this Post