When I instagram’d this photo of the salad that I tossed together for Adam and me on Saturday night, I was immediately flooded with requests for the recipe…and it really was so delicious, that of course I had to share. Like so many of my favorite recipes, this one was inspired by an incredible menu item I tasted while we were traveling – this time, a first-course salad that I had at Wolfgang Puck’s restaurant CUT in Beverly Hills. I took a few ingredient notes on my iPhone, and then recreated it with a few minor tweaks when we got home…and it’s been one of our go-to salads ever since. Keep reading for the recipe…
Beet, Avocado & Grapefruit Salad
- 6 small beets
- 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 small avocado
- 1 small grapefruit
- handful of chopped pistachios
- handful of micro greens
- olive oil and aged balsamic vinegar
- Maldon sea salt (kosher salt works too, but trust me: the Maldon is so worth it.)
- Preheat oven to 450 degrees. Trim the ends of the beets. If large, cut in half. Place them on a sheet of foil and drizzle with olive oil. Place another sheet of foil on top, and crimp the edges to form a “pouch.” Place on a baking sheet, cut a few slits in the top of the pouch to let steam escape and roast in oven for an hour, or until beets are pierced easily with a paring knife. Remove from oven and let cool, then remove skin by rubbing vigorously with a paper towel. Slice into 1/2″ thick slices.
- Peel and remove the membrane from the grapefruit. Cut crosswise into 1/2″ thick slices, then cut in half to form half-circles.
- Peel and seed the avocado, then cut into 1/2″ thick slices.
- Divide grapefruit between 2 plates, arranging them in a circular pattern. Top with avocado slices, then beets. Scatter microgreens and pistachios all over, then drizzle with olive oil and balsamic vinegar. Finish with a sprinkle of sea salt.
Share this Post