You know those nights when you’re starving and want something warm and toasty… but don’t feel like going to the grocery store or cooking? My usual answer: BLT’s. Crispy bacon, butter lettuce and sliced, salted tomatoes layered with a bit of mayonnaise on toasted bread always hits the spot. As does this Curried Chicken & Avocado sandwich, which steals some of the BLT’s best qualities but subs in curry-crusted grilled chicken for the bacon and uses sweet and spicy mango chutney in place of tomatoes. I’ve got to give Adam the credit for this one: with distant memories of a curried chicken sandwich special he ordered years ago at Pastis, one night he decided to take unlikely ingredients (mango chutney, a sprinkle of arugula, cilantro) and layer them onto toasted french bread with smashed avocado, resulting in one of the most perfect bites ever. After all, it’s a rare sandwich that we’d serve for a dinner party, and with a pile of crispy sweet potato fries, it was the hit of the night. Keep reading for the recipe…
Curried Chicken & Avocado Sandwich
- 4 chicken tenderloins (or 2 boneless, skinless chicken breast halves), pounded thin
- curry powder
- 2 or 3 tablespoons mango chutney
- 1 small, ripe avocado
- sea salt
- a couple handfuls of arugula
- 10 stems cilantro, stems removed
- 4 slices crusty bread, like french or sourdough
- Preheat the broiler. Heat a grill or an indoor grill pan to medium high.
- Coat each side of the chicken in curry powder, then shake any excess off. Grill for about 3 minutes per side, until cooked through. Remove from heat to rest for 5 minutes, then slice each tenderloin crosswise into 3 pieces.
- Halve the avocado, then de-seed and scoop out flesh. Sprinkle with salt, then mash roughly with a fork.
- Brush each side of the bread with a tiny bit of olive oil, then toast under the broiler until golden brown, flipping once. (careful, this happens fast!)
- On two of the bread slices, divide the mashed avocado and spread evenly. On the other two slices, spread a couple spoonfuls of mango chutney.Add a layer of arugula, then top with the chicken and cilantro. Top with the avocado slices, press firmly together, then slice in half and serve.
*photos by Camille, animated gif & layouts by Jenn
Share this Post
Yummmm, these look so good. I am going to make them this weekend.
Oh this looks delightful and perfect for a quick weeknight dinner.
Beautiful photos, Camille!
This sandwich looks perfect for a cozy night at home. I probably would leave out the cilantro, but that’s a personal thing ;-).
Yum! I can’t wait to make this!
Looks delish. Where did you find the mango chutney?
Most grocery stores actually carry it, either in the chutney section or the ethnic foods aisle. It’s also really delish served with grilled pork tenderloin or on flatbread!
Yummmm! Love any sandwich with avocado! My grandparents had the best avocado tree in their backyard. I ate them everyday as a little girl…:)
oh my gosh, that would be my dream! I’d be putting avocados on everything in sight…
Camille, I’m becoming seriously addicted to your recipes. 🙂
Love hearing that Ada – thanks so much for the sweet words, and happy eating! 😉
wow so delicious looking !! and I love the animation ! i will try it without the curry 🙂
This has got to be a winner!!
The sandwich looks amazing! I recommend http://www.thecurryguru.com for the best curry blends and chutneys.