As much as I love to cook, I have to admit that (especially in the summer) I don’t really enjoy spending more than an hour in the kitchen…and, well, not any time cleaning up. When the weather turns warm, I’m into dishes that incorporate colorful seasonal ingredients and don’t alter them too much from their original state… why mess with a good thing, you know? I’m always looking to add these types of dishes to my file of faves, and this grilled panzanella is a no-brainer. If you can chop veggies and turn on a grill, you’ve got this one covered. And an added bonus? I don’t think that my meat-loving husband even noticed he was eating a vegetarian meal… he was far too busy scooping up seconds! Keep reading for the recipe you’ll probably be making all summer long, and since I’d love to get inspired with more summer salads, leave a comment letting me know your favorite!
Grilled Panzanella Salad
- 2 red bell peppers, stemmed, seeded, quartered
- 2 yellow bell peppers, stemmed, seeded, quartered
- 2 zucchini, trimmed, cut on the diagonal into 1/2″ thick pieces
- 4 slices crusty white italian bread
- olive oil, salt & pepper
- 1 english cucumber, peeled and chopped
- 1 cup cherry tomatoes, halved
- 1/2 cup pitted kalamata olives, halved
- 1/3 cup mint leaves, chopped
- 1/3 cup basil leaves, chiffonade
- 1/3 cup olive oil
- 1/4 cup aged balsamic vinegar
- 4 oz piece of feta, broken into chunks (I’d love to try this with fresh mozzarella next time!)
- Heat grill to medium. Brush peppers, zucchini, and bread on both sides with oil. Sprinkle lightly with salt and pepper. Grill peppers and zucchini until slightly charred and just tender, turning often, about 6 minutes. Add bread for the last 3 minutes of cooking, and grill until lightly charred and just crisp, turning often. Transfer to a cutting board and let cool.
- Meanwhile, combine cucumber, tomatoes, olives, mint and basil in a large bowl. Chop peppers, zucchini into 1/2″ pieces and add to bowl. Tear bread into 1″ pieces and add to bowl.
- Whisk oil and vinegar together, and season with salt and pepper to taste. Add dressing to salad, toss to gently coat, and add feta.
*For other summer salad ideas, try:
- Thai Steak & Noodle Salad
- Beet, Avocado & Grapefruit Salad
- Grilled Shrimp & Corn Salad
- Crunchy Asian Salad