Hi! I’m Jessica from forgiving martha, and I’m thrilled to introduce my new series on Camille Styles lovingly referred to as The Perfect Bite. I’m one piece of an amazing team, and I’ll be focusing on all things delicious. Twice a month, I’ll feature recipes to inspire you to make something new, “out of your box,” or just that extra special, perfect bite.
Today, I hope you’ve saved room for a dessert that’s absurdly delicious. I made thin, simple vanilla cookies that add a bit of a twist on conventional banana split ingredients. To me, it’s not officially summer without an ice cream sandwich. What summer treats are your favorite?
Follow the jump for the recipe for today’s delightfully sweet treat!
Banana Split Ice-cream Sandwiches
*yields 6 sandwiches
7 tablespoons powdered sugar
6 tablespoons all-purpose flour, sifted
¼ teaspoon vanilla extract
1 large egg
2 cups vanilla ice cream, softened
2 medium bananas
6 tablespoons dry-roasted peanuts, coarsely chopped (divided)
6 tablespoons chocolate syrup
6 tablespoons whipped cream
3 maraschino cherries, drained
- To make the cookies, combine the powdered sugar and flour and whisk together. Add the egg and vanilla and beat well until smooth. Cover and refrigerate for 2 hours.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Prepare a baking sheet by lining it with parchment paper. Draw 6 circles on the paper making the circles 3” in diameter. (I traced around a biscuit cutter!) Turn parchment paper over circle-side down.
- Spoon batter into the center of each circle and spread to the edge of each circle. It should take approximately 1 tablespoon to fill each circle.
- Bake at 350 degrees for 7 minutes or until the edges begin to lightly brown. Let cookies cool on a wire rack. Repeat with remaining batter and reuse your parchment paper.
- To prepare the filling, use a chilled bowl to combine the ice cream and banana. Stir until well incorporated.
- Spread about 1/3 cup of the ice cream mixture over the flat side of 6 cookies and top each with the remaining cookies. Press gently until the ice cream spreads to the edges and roll the sides of each sandwich in the peanuts.
- Top each with chocolate syrup, whipped cream, remaining peanuts and (of course!) a cherry.