Hi, everyone! Jess here, and since everyone is still keen on their resolutions, today’s Perfect Bite proves that not every chocolate fix has to leave you feeling guilty. I love nothing more than a dessert that’ll give your tastebuds a kick, and your waistline a break! These whole wheat donuts are totally decadent, filled with dark chocolate chips and topped with a creamy chocolate ganache and chocolate sprinkles. But on the flip side, they’re made with olive oil, low fat milk and whole wheat… now that’s balance, right? I’ve got the full recipe, after the jump!
Whole Wheat Chocolate Donuts
- 2 cups whole wheat pastry flour
- 1/4 cup cocoa powder
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 cup low fat milk plus 2 tablespoons
- 2 teaspoons vanilla
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1/3 cup dark chocolate chips
For chocolate ganache
- 1/2 cup heavy cream
- 4 ounces bittersweet chocolate, chopped
- chocolate sprinkles, optional
- Preheat oven to 325°F. Prepare pan by spraying donut pan with cooking oil and lightly dusting with flour; set aside.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together eggs, milk, vanilla, sugar, and oil. Add flour, baking powder, baking soda and cocoa powder and whisk until combined.
- Gently fold in chocolate chips and fill each donut hole in the prepared pan about 2/3 full.
- Bake approximately 20 minutes. Allow to cool in the pan for about 10 minutes and remove a wire rack to cool completely.
- To prepare ganache, heat the heavy cream in a small pot. Once it begins to boil, remove from the stove.
- Pour heavy cream into bowl of chopped chocolate. Stir and mix until chocolate is completely melted.
- Let cool for a few minutes before dipping tops of the donuts in chocolate ganache and topping with sprinkles.
*Recipe source: Eat Good 4 Life
Share this Post