Yesterday was our fab new intern Sophee’s first day of work, so I thought it only fitting to welcome her to the team with the scent of freshly-baked sticky buns wafting from the oven…right?! Have y’all ever had a truly great sticky bun? If you have, then you know it’s a thing of beauty. My favorite versions have gooey, cinnamon centers tucked into light-as-air pastry, all topped with a crown of crunchy pecans and caramel. I based my recipe on a Barefoot Contessa version I’d been meaning to try for ages, and added a few tweaks of my own. Follow the jump for the end result and mouthwatering recipe!
I subbed in juicy dried cherries for the raisins in the original recipe, and it gave the buns an added sweetness that made them even more decadent.
Don’t you love how the gooey center with it’s cinnamon stripes mimics the lines of Sophee’s dress? Yeah, we totally planned that…
Cherry-Pecan Sticky Buns
- 12 tablespoons (1 1/2 sticks) unsalted butter, at room temperature
- 1/3 cup light brown sugar, lightly packed
- 1/2 cup pecans, chopped in very large pieces and lightly toasted
- 1 package (17.3-ounces/ 2-sheets) frozen puff pastry, defrosted
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter, melted & cooled
- 2/3 cup light brown sugar, lightly packed
- 3 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1 cup dried cherries, roughly chopped
- 1/4 cup chopped pecans
Bake for 30 minutes, until the sticky buns are golden to dark brown on top and firm to the touch. Be careful – they’re hot! Allow to cool for 5 minutes only, invert the buns onto the parchment paper (ease the filling and pecans out onto the buns with a spoon) and cool completely.