After our last few Tastings of chocolate & berry trifle, pancakes for two and chocolate-covered peanut butter ritz crackers…suffice it to say, I thought it was time to indulge in something a little more nourishing this week. This kale & white bean soup is brimming with antioxidant-rich veggies and fiber-packed beans…and even my naughty-eater husband is constantly requesting it for dinner because it’s so tasty. I love to grate big shards of parmesan on top, drizzle with a little olive oil & sea salt, then serve with slices of grilled rustic bread for sopping up every last drop. Let me know what you think…and I’d love to hear about any of your favorite winter soup recipes! Keep reading for the recipe…
Kale & White Bean Soup
*serves 4 – 6
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 3 carrots, peeled and chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 teaspoon finely chopped rosemary or thyme
- Salt and freshly ground pepper
- 1 pound Tuscan kale, stemmed and leaves coarsely chopped
- 1 quart chicken stock
- 1/2 cups small tube-shaped pasta (like dittalini)
- 1 cup drained canned cannellini beans
- Shaved Parmigiano-Reggiano cheese and grilled bread
- In a large pot, heat the oil. Add the onion, cover and cook over moderate heat, stirring, until softened, 4 minutes. Add the carrots, cover and cook, stirring, until lightly browned in spots but not tender, 5 minutes. Stir in the garlic and herbs and cook until fragrant, 1 minute. Add the kale and cook, stirring, until wilted, 5 minutes. Add the stock, cover and simmer until the kale and carrots are just tender, 8 minutes. Season with salt and pepper.
- Meanwhile, bring a medium saucepan of salted water to a boil. Add the pasta and cook until al dente. Drain the pasta.
- Add the pasta and cannellini beans to the soup and simmer until the soup is slightly thickened, about 5 minutes. Ladle the soup into deep bowls and garnish with shaved Parmigiano-Reggiano cheese. Drizzle with good extra-virgin olive oil, and serve with grilled bread.
Share this Post