- Nonstick cooking spray
- 4 large eggs
- 1 1/3 cups plus 2 tablespoons sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 teaspoon almond extract
- 1 tablespoon plus 1/3 cup fresh lemon juice
- 3/4 cup olive oil
- 1 3/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 2 tablespoons finely grated lemon zest
- 1 cup frozen raspberries
- 1/4 cup raw pistachios, chopped, plus more for garnish
- optional: edible flowers for garnish
- Preheat oven to 350°. Coat 2 6" diameter cake pans with cooking spray, line with parchment paper rounds, then spray parchment with cooking spray.
- In the bowl of a standing mixer, beat eggs and 1 cup sugar on medium-high speed until light and fluffy, 3 - 5 minutes. Add vanilla, almond extract, and 1 tablespoon lemon juice, then with mixer running, add oil, mixing just until combined. Whisk flour, baking powder, and salt in a small bowl, then fold lemon zest and dry ingredients into wet ingredients.
- Divide batter evenly between prepared pans. Scatter raspberries over cake, then pistachios, and sprinkle everything with 2 tablespoons sugar. Bake cake until sides start to spring back from pan and a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean, about 45 minutes.
- While cakes are in the oven, bring remaining 1/3 cup sugar and remaining 1/3 cup lemon juice to a boil in a medium saucepan, stirring to dissolve sugar. Let the lemon syrup cool.
- With the cakes still in their pans, transfer to a wire rack and immediately brush with all of the lemon syrup. Let cakes cool completely in pans, then run a knife around the edges and turn out onto a serving platter. Garnish with chopped pistachios and edible flowers, if desired.
adapted from this recipe from bon appetit