- one small bunch of curly kale
- 1 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 teaspoon lemon juice, more to taste
- 1 teaspoon white wine vinegar
- 1 small fennel bulb or 1 small-medium cucumber, very thinly sliced
- 3 small radishes, thinly sliced
- 2 scallions, chopped
- 1/2 avocado, pitted and cubed
- 1/4 cup crumbled feta cheese
- 4 cups cubed watermelon, seeds removed
- sea salt and freshly ground black pepper
- Remove the coarse stems of the kale and tear the curly leaves into small pieces. Place them in a large bowl with a drizzle of olive oil, salt, pepper, lemon and white wine vinegar. Use your hands to massage the kale leaves until they’re soft and tender. They should shrink down to about half the amount that you started with.
- Add the sliced fennel, radishes, scallions, avocado, feta and toss. Add the watermelon and toss again. Taste, and add more salt, pepper, lemon and/or olive oil as you like.