- 4 cups cooked pearl or hulled barley*
- 4 1/2 cups water
- 1 1/2 cups shelled, organic edamame
- 2 cups wild baby arugula
- 2 blocks savory, baked, organic tofu (firm or extra-firm), cut into 3/4-inch cubes
- 1 ripe avocado, halved and thinly sliced
- Combine the barley and water in a medium saucepan and bring to a boil. Reduce the heat to low and simmer for 40 to 50 minutes until all of the liquid is absorbed. Remove from heat and allow to cool slightly.
- In a large bowl, whisk together the soy sauce, sesame oil, lemon juice, oregano, and lemon zest until well combined. Add the slightly cooled barley to the bowl and toss to coat.
- Add the shelled edamame and arugula and toss gently to combine. To serve, divide the barley salad among four bowls and top with tofu and avocado slices.
* Hulled barley is barley in its most natural state, which means it needs to cook for quite a bit longer than pearl barley—1 to 1 1/2 hours longer. Pearl barley has the hull removed and is therefore less tough. Adjust your cooking time based on the variety you choose
Lemon Tamari Dressing
- 4 tablespoons low-sodium soy sauce
- 2 tablespoons toasted sesame oil
- Juice of 1 lemon
- 1 tbsp dried oregano
- 1 tsp finely grated lemon zest (optional)
- In a large bowl, whisk together the soy sauce, sesame oil, lemon juice, oregano, and lemon zest until well combined. Add the dressing to the bowl and toss to coat.