- 4 large egg whites
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 teaspoon white vinegar
- 1 1/4 cup sugar
- 1/2 cup sliced toasted almonds, plus more for garnish
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- 1 1/2 cups frozen blackberries
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- juice and zest of 1 orange
- 1 1/4 cups whipping cream, very cold
- 1/2 cup mascarpone cheese, very cold
- 1 teaspoon almond extract
- sliced fresh mint for garnish
- 1/2 cup fresh blueberries
- 1/2 cup fresh blackberries
- Preheat the oven to 350. In the bowl of a stand mixer using the whisk attachment, beat the egg whites with the salt for 2 minutes. Beat in the vinegar, then with the motor still running, slowly stream in the sugar. Beat on medium-high for about 8 minutes, until the egg whites are glossy and stiff peaks form.
- In a small bowl, toss the sliced almonds with the cornstarch, then carefully fold into the beaten egg whites. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper, then use a large spoon to scoop the egg white mixture onto the center of the baking sheet. Use the back of the spoon to shape it into a 9" round, and press a slight indention into the center of the disc. This will be what holds the filling.
- Transfer the baking sheet to the oven, and immediately lower the oven temperature to 225. Bake the meringue for 1 1/2 hours, then turn the oven off and let the meringue rest inside the oven for 1 hour. Transfer to a baking rack on the counter and let cool completely.
- To make the berry cream filling: In a small saucepan, simmer the frozen blackberries with sugar, orange juice, and orange zest for about 5 minutes, just until the blackberries start to break down and release their juice. Remove from the heat and let cool completely.
- In the bowl of a standing mixer using the whisk attachment, beat the whipping cream, mascarpone, and almond extract until soft peaks form, about 2 - 3 minutes. Stir 1/2 cup of the cream into the cooled blackberry sauce, then carefully use a spatula to fold that mixture into the bowl of the whipped cream.
- Use a large spoon to dollop the blackberry cream into the center of the meringue. Sprinkle fresh blueberries, blackberries, remaining almonds, and mint over the top. Eat!