- 1 c flour
- 1 c sprouted rye flour
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 1/4 tsp baking soda
- 1/4 c sugar
- 1/4 c brown sugar
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp cinnamon
- 1 stick butter, melted
- 2 eggs
- 1/2 tsp vanilla
- 1/4 c buttermilk
- 3/4 c apple butter
- 1 apple, chopped
- 1 c. walnuts, toasted & coarsely chopped
- 2 T butter, melted
- 1/2 c sugar
- 3/4 c sprouted rye flour
- Pinch of salt
- In a small mixing bowl, combine sugar, rye flour, and a pinch of salt. Mix well to combine.
- Drizzle melted butter over flour mixture and stir with a fork until mixture is dry and crumbly.
- If necessary, use your hands to mix and squeeze to form a crumbly consistency. Set aside.
- Preheat oven to 400. Line a muffin tin with paper muffin cups (or butter generously) and set aside.
- In a large mixing bowl, combine dry ingredients.
- In a second bowl, whisk together melted butter, eggs, vanilla, buttermilk and apple butter until thoroughly combined.
- Pour wet ingredients into dry and stir just until combined.
- Fold in chopped apples and walnuts. Let mixture rest 20-30 minutes (if you don’t have 20-30 minutes, then just let batter rest for as long as possible).
- Fill muffin cups to the top with batter, then top each one with streusel (don’t worry of it doesn’t all stay on top of muffins). Bake at 400 for 20 minutes.