- 1 acorn squash, sliced thinly crosswise, seeds removed
- olive oil for drizzling
- 1 t garam masala spice blend
- salt to taste
- ¼ c cilantro chutney (recipe follows)
- ¼ c plain Greek yogurt
- Preheat oven to 400.
- Place squash on a baking sheet in a single layer and brush with olive oil. Sprinkle with salt and garam masala. Roast for 12-15 minutes, until soft and beginning to caramelize.
- Remove from the oven, layer squash onto a serving place and drizzle with cilantro chutney (recipe below). Serve with a dollop of Greek yogurt.
Shef’s Mom’s Cilantro Chutney
- ¼ cup raw unsalted peanuts
- 1 bunch cilantro, coarsely chopped, discarding only the thick stems
- ½ serrano chili pepper, coarsely chopped, seeds and all
- 1 ½ to 2 tablespoons coarsely chopped peeled gingerroot
- 1 teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon sugar
- 2 teaspoons fresh lemon or lime juice
- ½ cup water
Place ingredients in a blender and blend on high. If you have a blender with a tapered base, you might need to use a little more water, but try to use as little as you possibly can. Periodically stop the blender to scrape down the sides. When smooth, taste for salt and acid and adjust as needed.