- 1 cup wild purple rice, soaked 30 minutes
- 1 cup wheatberries, soaked 30 minutes
- 4 stalks celery, quartered
- 1 onion, quartered
- 2 medium carrots, quartered
- 4 qts water
- 2 sprigs thyme
- 3 cloves garlic
- 1 delicata squash, cut into 1/2 inch rings
- 1 sweet dumpling squash, cut into wedges
- 1 tbsp Sicilian oregano
- 1 tbsp thyme
- 1 cup almonds, toasted
- 1 cup feta, crumbled
- 2 tbsp parsley, chopped
- 2 tbsp scallions, sliced
- salt & pepper, to taste
- Sweat the carrots, celery, and onions until soft and translucent on medium heat, about 5 mins.
Add the garlic and sprigs of thyme. Cook together for about 1 minute.
- Drain the grains of all water and add to the pot of vegetables.
- Add fresh water and bring to a boil. Reduce to a simmer, and cook for about 20-25 minutes or until grains are soft and tender. (Cooking the grains separately will keep the wheatberries from turning purple).
- When the grains are ready, spread them out on a sheet tray to cool. At this point remove and discard the carrots, celery, onions, garlic, and thyme. Season grains to taste.
- Preheat your oven to 425*F
- Lightly drizzle squash with olive oil, salt, pepper, Sicilian oregano, and thyme.
- Arrange the squash on two separate sheet trays in an even layer. Roast the delicata for 12-14 minutes, and the sweet dumpling squash for 18-20 minutes. Remove from oven and let cool.
- Plate the grains first, and top with squash, toasted almonds, crumble feta, parsley, and scallions.