- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 sweet potato, peeled and chopped
- 1 onion, chopped
- 1 red bell pepper, seeded and chopped
- 6 garlic cloves, chopped
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 1 1/2 tablespoons chile powder
- 1 tablespoon ground cumin
- kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
- One 28-ounce can crushed tomatoes
- Two 15-ounce cans black beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 tablespoon honey
- zest and juice of one orange
- toppings: sliced avocado, goat cheese or cheddar cheese, green onions or cilantro, jalapeño, sliced radishes, tortilla chips
- In a dutch oven over medium-high heat, warm the olive oil. Add the sweet potato, onion and bell pepper and cook for 10 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Add the garlic, tomato paste, chile powder, and cumin. Add salt and pepper to taste and stir it all together. Add tomatoes, black beans, honey, zest, juice, and 2 cups of water and bring to a simmer. Cover and cook over low heat for 30 minutes, until the sweet potato is very tender.
- Check for seasoning and add more salt and chili powder as needed. Divide among bowls, add toppings, and eat!
*This chili can be made the night before and refrigerated. Reheat over low heat on the stove. Also freezes great!