How to Make Shakshuka
- 2 TBS olive oil
- 6 cloves garlic, diced
- 1 jalapeño, seeds removed, sliced
- 8 medium ripe tomatoes, diced
- 1 TBS tomato paste
- 6 eggs
- flat leaf parsley, chopped
- Over medium-high, heat the olive oil in a large heavy bottomed skillet. Once hot, add the garlic and jalapeño.
- When the garlic becomes slightly golden and the jalapeño softens, add the tomatoes. Add the cumin, paprika and tomato paste and stir. Bring to a boil, then reduce the heat and let simmer for 20 to 30 minutes, or until the sauce is fully broken down and thickened.
- Carefully crack the eggs into the tomato sauce. Once the eggs seem to be mostly cooked through -- about 8 minutes -- cover the skillet to cook the top of the eggs, checking periodically to ensure the yolks don't get overcooked.
- Remove from heat and garnish with sea salt, black pepper and parsley. Serve with fresh bread.