- 9 medjool dates, pitted and mashed
- 1/2 cup tahini
- 1/2 cup peanut butter(or almond butter!)
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin coconut oil
- 1/4 cup raw sunflower seeds
- 1/2 cup almond meal
- 1 cup puffed brown rice
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- Generous pinch of sea salt
- 3 oz. bittersweet chocolate, broken into pieces
- Using a fork, mash the dates on a plate into a thick paste. It’s ok if there’s a few chunky bits, but make sure the dates are generally broken down. Add to a large mixing bowl with tahini, peanut butter, vanilla, and coconut oil. Using a fork or whisk, mix ingredients until well combined.
- Add sunflower seeds, almond meal, puffed brown rice and cinnamon. Add a generous pinch of sea salt and mix together until ingredients form a thick, cohesive batter.
- Line a square dish, 8 or 9 inch is best, with parchment paper then add mixture in. Using the heel of your palm, flatten until it’s in one even layer.
- Double broil the chocolate*. Once all chocolate has melted, spoon over the prepared bars, either coating entirely or in a zig zag shape. Add another pinch of sea salt over top, then add to the fridge to set for 1 hour. Cut into 18 bars and serve. You can store these in the fridge for a week or store in the freezer as a treat.
*Add a heat-safe (glass) bowl fitted over a saucepan with 2-3 inches of water. Make sure the water does not touch the bowl. Add chocolate to the bowl and bring to a rolling simmer, stirring chocolate until it melts completely. You can also melt chocolate in the microwave in 30 second intervals until chocolate melts completely.