- 4 lbs leftover turkey bones
- 2 lbs leftover turkey meat
- 4 quarts chicken bone broth
- 1 cup onion, diced
- 1 1/2 cup celery, diced
- 1 1/2 cup carrot, diced
- 1/2 head cabbage, shredded
- 2 cups green beans, chopped
- 2 cups sweet potatoes, small cubed
- 2 cups butternut squash, small cubed
- 1/3 cup fresh sage
- 1/3 cup currants
- 1 tbsp fresh thyme
- 2 tbsp himalayan sea salt (or to taste)
- 1 quart leftover mashed potatoes or cauliflower mash
- Cover turkey bones with chicken bone broth. Bring to a boil then reduce to simmer. Cook for 2 hours on low. This will get you a yummy, flavorful turkey stock. Alternatively, you can cook stock for 48 hours, but this is a shortcut.
- Remove carcass from stock. Add all additional ingredients, besides turkey meat, salt and mashed potatoes. Turn soup up to high, bring to a boil, then reduce heat and cover for 60-90 minutes until all vegetables are soft and delicious.
- Once vegetables are soft, add turkey meat and mashed potatoes. Please note: this recipe was built with very creamy cauliflower mash or potatoes. If you are using chunky potatoes (similar to potato salad texture), please puree to smooth before adding to soup. The mashed potatoes will add a delicious creaminess to the soup. Add salt to taste (will vary depending on the salt level in your potatoes).