For the cookies:
- 2 cups plus 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour (plus extra for rolling)
- 2/3 cup white whole wheat flour (can sub all-purpose)
- 1 1/2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 1/2 teaspoons cinnamon
- 1 1/2 teaspoons ground ginger
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup molasses
- 1/2 cup coconut oil, melted
- 1/2 cup brown sugar
- 1/4 cup orange juice
- zest of one small orange
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
For the vegan royal icing:
- 1 1/2 cups confectioner's sugar
- 3 tablespoons almond milk (or vegan milk of choice)
- 1 1/2 teaspoons corn syrup
- 1/2 teaspoon almond or vanilla extract
- Make the cookies: In a medium bowl, sift together flours, spices and salt.
- In a separate bowl, stir together the molasses, coconut oil, brown sugar, orange juice, and vanilla.
- Mix the wet ingredients into the dry ingredients until dough forms. The dough will be very soft, and requires chilling before rolling. Flatten the dough into a disk, wrap in plastic wrap and refrigerate for at least an hour.
- When ready to bake, preheat the oven to 350F.
- On a well-floured surface, or between two sheets of parchment, roll the dough out to 1/4-inch thick. Cut into desired shape and place cookies on a parchment lined cookie sheet at least 1-inch apart. If dough gets too soft at any point, place back in the refrigerator to chill -- cold dough is much easier to work with. `
- Bake for 8-10 minutes or until edges are just slightly brown. Cooking time will vary based on size of your cutouts. Cool on a wire rack completely before icing.
- Prepare the royal icing: Combine ingredients in a bowl and stir until smooth. For piping consistency, the icing should hold thick peaks when spooned.
- Spoon into a piping bag and have fun frosting!