- 2 cups dates, pitted (about 19-20 dates)
- 2 cups raw almonds
- 1 cup unsweetened shredded coconut, divided
- 1/4 cup cocoa powder
- 1/2 teaspoon sea salt
- 3 tablespoons almond butter
- 1 tablespoon pure vanilla extract
- 1-2 tablespoons warm water (less if your dates are sticky)
- Add the dates, almonds, 1/2 cup coconut, cocoa powder and salt to the bowl of a food processor. Pulse until mixture is thick and crumbly.
- Add the almond butter and vanilla and continue to pulse. Take a small amount of mixture and press it between your fingers. If it sticks together easily and can roll into a ball shape, it's ready. If the mixture is too dry, add 1 tablespoon of water at a time, pulsing in between, until mixture is sticky enough to hold its shape.
- In a nonstick pan over medium heat, toast the remaining 1/2 cup of coconut, stirring frequently until golden brown, about 10 minutes. Let cool completely.
- Roll the date mixture into 1-inch balls (mine weighed about 30 grams each), then roll in toasted coconut. You will need to press the coconut into the sides of the balls to help it stick.
- Store bites in an airtight container at room temperature for up to two weeks.