For the donuts:
- 4 tbsp butter, softened
- 1/4 cup applesauce
- 1/2 cup honey
- 2 large eggs
- 1 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 1/4 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 tsp ground nutmeg
- 3/4 tsp sea salt
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- zest of 1 large orange
- 1/2 cup unsweetened vanilla almond milk
For the glaze:
- 1 cup powdered sugar
- 1/4 tsp rose water
- 3 tbsp heavy whipping cream
- To make the glaze, whisk sugar, rose water and whipping cream in a small bowl until smooth.
- Pre-heat the oven to 425, and lightly grease donut pan.
- In a mixing bowl, beat together the butter, apple sauce, and honey on medium speed until smooth.
- Add the eggs and continue beating to combine.
- Stir in the baking powder, baking soda, nutmeg, salt and vanilla.
- Alternate stirring in the flour and the milk, beginning and ending with the flour until the mixture is very well combined.
- Spoon the batter into the greased doughnut pan, filling each one to about 1/4" shy of the rim.
- Bake the donuts for 8-10 minutes, remove them from the oven, and wait 5 minutes before placing them onto a cooling rack.
- Once cooled, dip each donut halfway into the glaze, and top with crushed pistachios and edible rose petals. Enjoy!