- 14.5 oz can stewed tomatoes
- 1 tbsp avocado oil
- 1/2 large white onion, diced
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 cup chicken broth
- 2 tbsp apple cider vinegar
- 1 tsp dried oregano, crushed
- 1 tsp ground cumin
- 1/8 tsp ground cinnamon
- salt and pepper, to taste
- hot sauce to taste, we used Cholula
- Puree 3/4 of the tomatoes in a blender until smooth (I like my sauce on the chunky side, so I leave 1/4 of the can out of this step to add in later but you could easily puree the entire can if you prefer a smoother sauce!)
- Heat the avocado oil in a saucepan over medium-high heat, and cook the onion until translucent. Add in the garlic, and cook until fragrant.
- Combine all tomatoes, chicken broth, vinegar, oregano, cumin, and cinnamon in the pan and reduce to low heat. Simmer for 20-30 minutes until the sauce has reduced and thickened, stirring frequently.
- Season with salt, pepper and hot sauce to taste!
- 4 large poblano peppers, seeds removed
- 2 tsp avocado oil
- 1 medium sweet potato, cubed
- 1/2 red onion, diced
- 1/2 cup asadero cheese, cubed
- 1 cup cooked whole kernel corn
- 2 limes, halved
- 2 avocados, cubed
- cilantro, roughly chopped
- cherry tomatoes, halved
- salt and pepper to taste
- Turn broiler on high and drizzle each poblano with a generous amount of avocado oil. Sprinkle with salt and black pepper.
- Broil for 7-8 minutes or until poblanos begin to blacken and blister.
- Reduce the oven to 450 degrees and roast the sweet potato, red onion, cherry tomatoes and corn on a foil-lined baking sheet for 15-20 minutes.
- While the vegetables are roasting, and once the poblanos are cool enough to touch, cut a slit half way through each from the top to bottom, being careful not to remove the stem. Using a pairing knife, carefully remove the core and then use a spoon to scoop out any remaining seeds.
- Stuff each pepper with cooked veggies and cheese cubes. Return to the 400 degree oven for 20-25 minutes.
- Top each pepper with avocado, cilantro, a drizzle of crema and a squeeze of lime juice. Serve over tomato sauce and enjoy!