- 4 large (or 8 small) beets
- 1 large avocado, sliced
- 1 small grapefruit
- 1 navel orange
- 3 tablespoons roasted shelled pistachios
- 2 tablespoons fresh tarragon (or you could easily sub mint or basil)
- flaky salt (like maldon) and freshly ground black pepper
- zest and juice of one orange
- 1 teaspoon honey
- 1/4 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- salt and pepper
- Wrap the beets in a foil pouch, then roast in a 450-degree oven for about an hour, until a knife slides into a beet with no resistance. Set aside to cool, then use a paper towel to rub the skins off. Slice into wedges.
- Meanwhile, segment the citrus: peel and trim the ends from the orange and grapefruit. Using a paring knife, cut along the membrane on both sides of each segment. Free the segments and set them aside.
- In a serving bowl, combine the citrus slices and tarragon, and toss to combine. Tuck the avocado slices and beet wedges into the citrus in a pretty pattern, but don't toss in order to keep the presentation neat.
- Make the vinaigrette by combining all the ingredients in a jar with a lid, and shake to combine. Drizzle over the salad ingredients, then top with pistachios. Eat!